The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How to keep your guitar humidified? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87239)

PRSpilot 10-03-2006 08:27 PM

How to keep your guitar humidified?

Okay guys my first taylor is comming in tomorrow after noon. Its a big baby! Im really excited but I really want to take care of it. Ive seen and heard many stories of taylor tops and backs cracking because the wood was allowed to dry out. Even though only the top is hard wood Im going to keep it properly humidified.

I live in Arizona and right now the humidity is in the 20's. Not good. What do you use to keep the guitar happy? Im looking more for sound hole humidifiers or case humidifiers.

LarryH in Texas 10-03-2006 08:31 PM

Hi, PRSPilot, welcome to the forum.

Taylor tech sheets discuss guitar care, including protecting your instrument from the effects of humidity (or lack thereof). You can find them at:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...echsheets.html

Blueguitar 10-03-2006 08:39 PM

I have been using Kyser's soundhole humidifer (KLHA to fit your Big Baby) without issue for years. Very nice if you leave your guitar sitting out (you'll play it more that way) because it closes off the soundhole and creates a nice micro-environment inside. Air flow inside the guitar is a serious hazard and nothing prevents this like the Kyser. Nice little absorbant sponge mounted on the inside to feed your top when it wants it. Cheap insurance no doubt.

woodruff 10-04-2006 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRSpilot
Okay guys my first taylor is comming in tomorrow after noon. Its a big baby! Im really excited but I really want to take care of it. Ive seen and heard many stories of taylor tops and backs cracking because the wood was allowed to dry out. Even though only the top is hard wood Im going to keep it properly humidified.

I live in Arizona and right now the humidity is in the 20's. Not good. What do you use to keep the guitar happy? Im looking more for sound hole humidifiers or case humidifiers.

dude, I am in Tucson. Swamp cooler running from end or april thru mid oct. during this time, as i keep my martins in their cases when not being played, i use absolutley no dampits or case humidifiers. i have a hygrometer on the wall of the room where they are kept and it is usually way above 50%. HOWERVER, as soon as the swamp is turned off for the season, round mid october thru end of april, I use a Dampit(those snakey sponges inside of a green rubber sheathing-about 15-17 bucks in most guitar shops) hung inside the soundhole while the guitar is in the case for the rest of the year(late fall-early spring). even when the hygrometer reads sub 30% humidity, the case humidity remains at an aceptable % level.

I used to keep the dampits in all year round, and realized that I was overhumidifying. southern AZ can be deceiving, as most folks think that cause it is so dry all year round that they need to me humidifying, yet we fail to realize the swamp cooler is just a giant humidore.

But, If you use A/C, well that is entirely different and will make the environment very dry, much like winter heat. My post only addresses SWAMP COOLERS. If I had A/C, I'd be using the dampits all year long.

Still, drop by our local radio shack or ace hardware and get a cheap hyprometer, about 9 bucks. hang it on the wall, and then you have actual measurements to base your decisions on. Ideal humidity % is 45-50. You got to start to wonder when the % hits either below 40 or above 50. Danger zones would be sub 30 and above 60. The guitar case is a great equalizer. Considering my swamp cooler, the room where I keep the guitars in their cases could use a de-humidifier during the swamp months. But that is a bit too much effort for me. But I wouldnt rule the de-humidifier out druing swamp cooler motnhs as I get older and wiser, even more patient.....The cases rarely if ever hit the danger zones, and my greater concern is with too dry vs too damp.

Simple rule I use re my old Martins, which I care deeply about:

1. Keep in case when not being played, regardless of the time of year.
2. Keep a good eye on my hygrometer daily
3. As soon as the room % dips below 40%, use the dampits.
4. When the % remains above 40%, I apply nothing other than rule #1.
5. Play the guitars everyday, keep them happy.

I used to stress out about humidity and dryness till I listened to others on this wonderful AGF and bought a hygrometer/hydrostat. Now I worry less and have a lot more fun. Also the Taylor website has a tremendous amount of info re dryness, dampness and humidity, and they dont care what guitar you own, and that is something I really appreciate about that company. I will repay them one day by purchasing one of their guitars.

Good luck!

KMHaynes 10-04-2006 10:49 AM

There are some inexpensive ways to humidify:
1) a wet sponge (not a foam one, but sponge) in a baggy -- squeeze the excess water out, but leave the baggy mostly open;
2) about once a week take your guitar and case, with the case open, into the bathroom during a shower or bath (but not IN the shower or tub!!) -- that will give the case and guitar some moisture;
3) buy a humidifier at Wal-mart, and put the guitar in a room where you can maintain a 50% humidity level by adding water as often as necessary.

zooropamofo 10-04-2006 11:09 AM

Planet Waves soundhole humidifier with distilled water. Works like a charm.

reags 10-04-2006 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooropamofo
Planet Waves soundhole humidifier with distilled water. Works like a charm.

I liked PW humidifiers so much I gave em a try, twice. However, both times even with distilled water they eventually got white mould and after killing the mould with bleach/water mix, the PW would eventually hold less and less water. This I believe is because of their sponge choice which is primarily used at florists to stick flowers into and doesn't last a lifetime. Nowadays it's Kyser or Dampits for me.

jonesbrass 10-04-2006 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRSpilot
I live in Arizona and right now the humidity is in the 20's. Not good. What do you use to keep the guitar happy?

I moved to Atlanta. ;)

Seriously, I prefer to use a room humidifier in my guitar room with a built-in humidity gauge and auto-shutoff, but as far as soundhole devices are concerned, I think the dampits are very good.

Devin 10-04-2006 10:30 PM

I live in El Paso - I have A/C running all summer and a gas furnace working in the winter. I use dampits in the sound holes and sponges in baggies in the cases all year round... Keeps my guitars happy...

- Devin

Coolius 10-04-2006 10:47 PM

I make my own humidifiers

I went to my local Chinese restaurant, and got one of those little plastic containers where you put the sauce for eggrolls, plus the lid.

I cut a piece from a sponge to fit inside, then punched several pin holes in the lid.

Damped the sponge, put it inside the container, close the lid, and stuck it in the case. Works just as well as a store-bought humidifier.

I use purified water from my Reverse Osmosis system.

C

Taylor 412CE

theGOOCH 10-05-2006 03:38 PM

I like room humidifiers. You can get one for as cheap as about $30...plus its more comfortable for you too

retrosurfer 195 10-05-2006 05:32 PM

phoenix for me

I live in Phoenix also and I use all of the above planet wave and the several dampit models that look like a piece of hose (they work best in my opinion) but nothing beats a room humidifier especially in the winter when the heater sucks the moisture out of the air. The most important thing is the hydrometer and keeping as close to 50% as you can. I don't know if it's as critical as some say, I worry about it a lot and do everything and I play with a friend who does absolutely nothing and has not even thought about it for 10 years and our guitars look almost identical:D