The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wood cases + humidity levels + dehumidify? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186322)

skatalite 06-06-2010 11:09 AM

Wood cases + humidity levels + dehumidify?

Have you ever wondered how much humidity/moisture a case made with wood soaks up?

Say inside the case, with guitar, it's 55 percent relative humidity. How much is the case getting compared to the guitar? Of course, not all cases are made equal and the quality/thickness of wood used is a dependent. But, still, I'm curious about that.

Now, as for dehumidification: What do you use? I'd like something I can put into my cases, but wouldn't be opposed to a room unit.

Let's hear your thoughts! :D

Dwight 06-06-2010 11:26 AM

Yes they soak it up, wood, padding and lining. Any case will slow the ascent and decent of humidity and that helps to prevent your guitar from abrupt changes in humidity.

You have enough guitars to go with a closet or room dehumidifier.

skatalite 06-06-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schoolside (Post 2247512)
Yes they soak it up, wood, padding and lining. Any case will slow the ascent and decent of humidity and that helps to prevent your guitar from abrupt changes in humidity.

You have enough guitars to go with a closet or room dehumidifier.

But I lack the closet :-/ I can get a room dehumidifier but just don't know which people recommend. There are just too many of them, and either I can go off what Amazon reviews tell me, or fellow musicians tell me.

Herb Hunter 06-06-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skatalite (Post 2247518)
But I lack the closet :-/ I can get a room dehumidifier but just don't know which people recommend. There are just too many of them, and either I can go off what Amazon reviews tell me, or fellow musicians tell me.

I have been using a Sears Kenmore floor standing humidifier for about a six years. I've never understood the appeal of humidifying the guitar cases. I'd much rather maintain the room at a level that is good for the guitars and comfortable for me and there is less effort involved in adding water to a humidifier every three to seven days than keeping the sponges moist in half a dozen or so guitar cases yet even if I had but one guitar, I'd rather humidify the whole room. Six years ago, I had a house with a central humidifier that used the central air conditioning ducts to humidify the whole house. It was connected to the plumbing system so it automatically drew the water it needed.

taylorcc 06-06-2010 11:52 AM

Wood gains or loses moisture until it is at equilibrium with its environment. If you put a wood guitar and a wood (probably plywood) case in a room where the relative humidity is 50%, the guitar wood and the case wood will eventually gain or lose moisture until they contain 9% moisture.

The case, being thicker and with perhaps glue layers impeding the flow of moisture, will take longer to reach equilibrium.

The moisture content does vary according to wood species, but they are similar.

skatalite 06-06-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herb Hunter (Post 2247531)
I have been using a Sears Kenmore floor standing humidifier for about a six years. I've never understood the appeal of humidifying the guitar cases. I'd much rather maintain the room at a level that is good for the guitars and comfortable for me and there is less effort involved in adding water to a humidifier every three to seven days than keeping the sponges moist in half a dozen or so guitar cases yet even if I had but one guitar, I'd rather humidify the whole room. Six years ago, I had a house with a central humidifier that used the central air conditioning ducts to humidify the whole house. It was connected to the plumbing system so it automatically drew the water it needed.

Before moving into the place I live now, I thought of a room humidifier. However, during the winter, there are no humidity problems in my abode. Humidity would range between 40 and 46 percent. During the summer, it's up to 55, which I'm fine with, but I'd like to run the AC less. When I turn the AC off, humidity creeps up to 65 percent. Hence the desire for a dehumidifier, which I imagine I'd need for six months out of the year.

taylorcc 06-06-2010 11:59 AM

Like Herb, I use a Sears floor model humidifier in the winter. It keeps me and my guitars at 40 - 50 percent rh.

I have a Sears dehumidifier I use in the summer to keep my woodworking shop humidity around 50%. The dehumidifier gives off some heat so you may have to run the air conditioning anyway.