The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408097)

ikravchik 11-15-2015 08:37 PM

Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with?

I came to a realization that all the guitars I have are tools and maybe even toys. I'm excited about getting them, then I play them for a while and then I want to try something new. Lately these cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I just got my Taylor 618e (2015) about a month ago, I'm already thinking of selling it and getting something else...

Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?

fazool 11-15-2015 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikravchik (Post 4716000)
I came to a realization that all the guitars I have are tools and maybe even toys. I'm excited about getting them, then I play them for a while and then I want to try something new. Lately these cycles have gotten shorter and shorter. I just got my Taylor 618e (2015) about a month ago, I'm already thinking of selling it and getting something else...

Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?

I have a few, actually.

My Taylor GC7 is basically my main guitar, forever. The only thing I might wish it to have is a new thinner finish and on rare occasion a cutaway, but I actually think I love this guitar so much Ill never part with it.

My Gibson Sonex 180 Custom solid body electric. In my opinion, the best bargain in an electric Gibson ever made. I hade one 30 years ago and had to sell it. I bought one, restored it to museum condition and it sentimentally sits near me.

My Martin 000-15 was severely neglected and abused and had substantial damage. I got it cheap and did a massive restoration project on it. It came out unbelievable and I cannot even believe how fantastic this guitar sounds. Because of all its repairs I could never ever get enough money to make me want to part with it.

dagobert 11-15-2015 08:42 PM

There is one that will stay with me to the end, I bought it long ago before I knew what I was doing with money both grandparents and parents gave me.

llew 11-15-2015 08:43 PM

Doubt I'd ever sell my HD-28V Adi custom?

semolinapilcher 11-15-2015 08:44 PM

I've had my Taylor 14 years and it will always be mine.

kiva238 11-15-2015 08:46 PM

The last of my Martin 000-18GE's.

Dru Edwards 11-15-2015 08:48 PM

My Yamaha 12 string that I bought new back in '89. It was the first guitar I bought with my own money and it was my best friend for the next 10 years.

Goodallboy 11-15-2015 08:48 PM

The one guitar I will never part with would be my McCollum.

gruuv 11-15-2015 08:49 PM

Not yet - still looking for one!

Kip Carter 11-15-2015 08:56 PM

Never is a LONG time... I had said that I would never sell my 12 string but it is going to be going on sale this week to help finance the D-35 ... Right now I'd say that my D-15 fits into the never sell class but again... Never is a long time and none of my guitars are heirlooms.

There is one however that I would never get rid of unless I simply was not going to be playing anymore period due to the circumstances by which I came into possession of it. That would be dear sweet Candy. My Yamaha FG-75 that Candy Apple sold to me. Candy is a joy to play; carries with it fond memories of my dear friend Tina, sounds awesome and uniquely voiced, so no that one says with me so long as I play or till Tina decides she wants Candy back which I told her that she could buy her back any time.

But I do think that Candy is going to get an upgrade here soon. Thinking bout adding a K&K Mini to her and a bone nut and saddle just cuz she deserves it.

MahoganyStrings 11-15-2015 08:57 PM

I'll never part with my first guitar, a cheap Lauren brand guitar. My dad bought it for me from a local music store, paid about 180% the current online price (I was 11 at the time, and in those days we spent our days getting bumps and bruises rather than surfing the web) , and it didn't come set up. I would've thrown it into a wood chipper had it not the sentimental value it has. I'll probably try setting it up soon (myself), just for the hell of it. It's one of those things that takes up space, but I know I'd regret getting rid of it.

Treenewt 11-15-2015 09:01 PM

Yep. My D18. I dreamed of having a D18 and honestly never thought I would get one. A few years ago some really good friends got together and gave me the money to get my dream guitar, hence the D18 in my signature. It's an incredible dread on its own, and it has loads of sentimental value to me. It will go to my kids.

difalkner 11-15-2015 09:05 PM

Yes, several will stay with me until I'm gone and they get passed on to my son and possibly two nephews.

kydave 11-15-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with?
A couple...

1971 D-28 which I bought new and is my best inanimate friend for life...
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...D28%202015.jpg

1967 D-28 which I got from the estate of my best friend, longtime music partner after his untimely death in 2009.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...0D28SB%201.jpg

The backs of these guitars...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...yTwinsBack.jpg

ljguitar 11-15-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikravchik (Post 4716000)
…Do you own a guitar you will never part with for any reason, be it sentimental, because you bonded with it, or the fact that it is the ONE guitar for you?

Hi ik…

Yes, I do own one guitar I'll never part with for any reason, because it's the best guitar I've ever owned, and matches my styling perfectly.