The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Linda Ronstadt on Playboy After Dark (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666448)

Inyo 03-11-2023 02:54 PM

Linda Ronstadt on Playboy After Dark

Presented herein for the group's consideration is an archival, enthusiastic, feisty performance of Bob Dylan's "Walkin' Down The Line" by Linda Ronstadt, originally telecast on Hue Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" (aired in US syndication 1969-1970) April 7, 1970.

Additional information regarding the clip: Among Ronstadt's backing band members, check out pre-Eagles guitarist Bernie Leadon (red shirt)--plus, bass player John London of Michael Nesmith's First National Band; Chris Darrow is on fiddle; and John Ware (also from First National Band) plays drums.

Others in attendance--Pre-"Hee Haw" Barbi Benton sits to the left of Hugh Hefner; pre-Bionic Lindsay Wagner visible, as well (turns toward Ronstadt just before LR begins to sing).

Cecil6243 03-11-2023 03:15 PM

Such a shame Linda can no longer sing. :(

Silly Moustache 03-11-2023 04:43 PM

Here in the UK BBC channel 4 often dedicates and evening to one singer and/or musician. Recently they dis a great evening on Linda.

Who could not love Linda?

mercy 03-11-2023 08:56 PM

Huge voice and one of my favorite singers but this illustrates that the wrong song just kills a performers effort. I absolutely love Blue Bayou, youre no good, Its so easy and so many more. Im not being negative, Im just offering my evaluation of that song. Still the band members are interesting to note.

pickinray 03-12-2023 05:15 AM

You wouldn't normally associate Hugh Hefner with country music, but that video was an interesting piece of 1970's pop culture. Linda was such a great singer - she could sing anything and it would sound fantastic.

ozzman 03-12-2023 04:05 PM

That was great! I think everybody was in love with Linda Ronstadt

Gitfiddlemann 03-13-2023 12:37 PM

Always loved Linda, and got to see and hear her up close in a concert when she was opening for Neil Young. She was just amazing. What a voice.
Here's a nice pic of her with the Swampers at Muscle Shoals right around that same time period.
https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...aQ&oe=6436E57A

eyesore 03-19-2023 05:57 PM

That's great !!! Don't remember the Playboy show.

rokdog49 03-24-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 7207439)
Huge voice and one of my favorite singers but this illustrates that the wrong song just kills a performers effort. I absolutely love Blue Bayou, youre no good, Its so easy and so many more. Im not being negative, Im just offering my evaluation of that song. Still the band members are interesting to note.

Apparently, I’m not listening to the same song you are.

Cecil6243 03-24-2023 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickinray (Post 7207530)
You wouldn't normally associate Hugh Hefner with country music, but that video was an interesting piece of 1970's pop culture. Linda was such a great singer - she could sing anything and it would sound fantastic.

I guess she also did Opera? What's really interesting is one of her parents is from Mexico and the other is from Germany.

Inyo 03-26-2024 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inyo (Post 7207222)
Presented herein for the group's consideration is an archival, enthusiastic, feisty performance of Bob Dylan's "Walkin' Down The Line" by Linda Ronstadt, originally telecast on Hue Hefner's "Playboy After Dark" (aired in US syndication 1969-1970) April 7, 1970.

Additional information regarding the clip: Among Ronstadt's backing band members, check out pre-Eagles guitarist Bernie Leadon (red shirt)--plus, bass player John London of Michael Nesmith's First National Band; Chris Darrow is on fiddle; and John Ware (also from First National Band) plays drums.

Others in attendance--Pre-"Hee Haw" Barbi Benton sits to the left of Hugh Hefner; pre-Bionic Lindsay Wagner visible, as well (turns toward Ronstadt just before LR begins to sing).

I'm undeading this thread to supply an additional Linda Ronstadt performance from that same Playboy After Dark appearance--an effectively evocative-emotive rendition of "Living Like A Fool."

raysachs 03-26-2024 06:51 PM

The most famous person (and no doubt also the best singer) to come out of my high school. About ten years ahead of me. Never met her, but a good friend of mine was a second or third cousin (she was also a really good singer and makes her living playing music) and another good friend lived right across the street from her family’s rather large estate. They had acres of untouched desert between their houses and the road, so we’d go over there to get high as teenagers. Didn’t care that her brother (who still lived on that property) was Tucson’s police chief - there was no way anyone was gonna see us out there.

-Ray

upsidedown 03-26-2024 11:46 PM

There's something really creepy about those Playboy After Dark shows.

Bob from Brooklyn 03-27-2024 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upsidedown (Post 7434277)
There's something really creepy about those Playboy After Dark shows.

You beat me to it. :sick: