The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   GS Mini Spruce Versus Hog Top AB Test (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240192)

Mkel12 01-27-2012 08:14 PM

GS Mini Spruce Versus Hog Top AB Test

http://soundcloud.com/mike-kelly-4/gs-mini-ab-test

Here is a comparison of the tones from my 8 month old spruce top mini and my 2 day old mahogany top mini.

patticake 01-27-2012 08:22 PM

both sound purty good - thanks for the A/B. the spruce topped version seems a little clearer than the mahogany. is the mahogany version a laminate top?

btw, that's some nice playing. i particularly liked your fingerstyle :)

Taylor339 01-27-2012 08:40 PM

Well done sir. I think you could make a cigar box guitar sound good but I liked the spruce. I have a spruce top coming next week and I have never played one. I bet that hog will sound great when it fully opens up.

mickey66 01-27-2012 08:45 PM

GS Mini

I agree with PattiCake! The GS Mini M is a solid Top Guitar just like the GS Mini. I spoke with a Taylor Rep today about this subject. The answer is to have one of each EDIT.....Forgot to add....Nice play n' you make both sound great! I own a GS Mini spruce top but sometime this year I'll get that Hog Top Mini.

Mkel12 01-27-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patticake (Post 2914791)
both sound purty good - thanks for the A/B. the spruce topped version seems a little clearer than the mahogany. is the mahogany version a laminate top?

btw, that's some nice playing. i particularly liked your fingerstyle :)

The mahogany top is solid. Thank you for the kind words!

Bill R 01-27-2012 09:11 PM

Yes, thank you for the comparison - well played I might add. With the intro of the mahogany topped GSmini, this is certainly a topic of much interest. This will undoubtedly be helpful to many folks considering spruce vs mahogany tops.
Bill

brencat 01-27-2012 09:37 PM

Great playing! I have to give the edge to the spruce top here... more overtones which I personally like.

Actually I just went to youtube to listen to a few samples and I can't believe how good this 3/4 guitar sounds...amazing! This one will be on the short list for my young son and daughter to learn on ;)

mickey66 01-27-2012 10:02 PM

Spruce vs Hog GS Mini

Heck....I hope Taylor comes out with a Cedar Top GS Mini(Western Red Cedar).

crazyomjm 01-28-2012 12:16 AM

great playing :) I think both of the guitar sounded quite nice in the recording. think i am happy to keep my spruce GS mini.. and might add the hog sibling later down the line! :D

rbbambino 01-28-2012 05:21 AM

I pretty much agree with the previous replies.. Certainly about your playing.. Great.. I'm surprised at how constrained the mahogany top sounds. It almost has a muffled sound compared to the spruce top. I suppose that will change as it opens up, but I would guess the spruce top will always have more sparkle. Thanks for the A/B..

LiveMusic 01-28-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mkel12 (Post 2914784)
http://soundcloud.com/mike-kelly-4/gs-mini-ab-test

Here is a comparison of the tones from my 8 month old spruce top mini and my 2 day old mahogany top mini.

Hi, you are very good player! Why do you own G S Mini, what's the draw for you? (Sounds surprisingly good!) I prefer the spruce, btw.

Mkel12 01-28-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveMusic (Post 2915066)
Hi, you are very good player! Why do you own G S Mini, what's the draw for you? (Sounds surprisingly good!) I prefer the spruce, btw.

Wow. I appreciate all the compliments. The draw for me on the mini is:
1) size / ease of travel
2) ease of play - if you have not played one, try it if you can... you will be amazed!
3) recording studio tone value per dollar invested - this is the biggest draw for me. I would put a mini up against some of Taylor's (or any other company's) more expensive models in a recording studio. There is something about these little beasts that translates perfectly in the studio. The Mini takes up little room, and having one in standard and one in Open D or Open G makes for quicker/easier track recordings. I will never give up my Martin D-18 or Taylor 814ce for playing around the table with friends, but the Mini has definitely found a niche in my music.

RAD3 01-28-2012 10:10 AM

I actually prefer the sound of the Hog top. I don't really hear a loss of clarity and really like the warmth. I think it would be a better guitar to sing folky stuff with.

really nice recordings...both sound very good for the size of the guitar. Impressive.

mblackdog27 01-28-2012 11:39 AM

thank you for the comparison. great playing too.

-black

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 01-28-2012 11:56 AM

One of the best A/B comparisons I have heard Mike. Through my headphones the Spruce had more clarity while the hog top has more warmth but they are certainly quite close tonally.

I would love for you to do this again in a few month after the Mahogany has had time to open up. In fact I would love to hear the difference between this recording of the new hog top mini and after it has opened up.

Thank you Mike!