The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If I Could Sing Like ... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683573)

delb0y 03-25-2024 11:50 AM

My favourites have all been mentioned, but to reiterate them anyway, my three wishes would be Lowell George, Greg Allman, and John Cowen.

Tunesalot 03-25-2024 11:52 AM

Since John Cowan is taken…. it is Rhiannon Geddons for the win. Or Del

joe white 03-25-2024 12:04 PM

Brad Delp for me. I can most often hit all his notes consistently but I don't quite have his tone.

frankmcr 03-25-2024 01:29 PM

Oh hey, seeing the name of the poster right above here made me think of a very underrated guy:

Tony Joe White. If I was stuck with his voice I would definitely not complain.

guitargabor 03-25-2024 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 7432282)
Come on, there's only on King.

I'll take Elvis!

Me too....

Mr. Jelly 03-26-2024 06:42 AM

I just wanted to play guitar. I only started singing so I could play material I liked in a band and not find a singer. After all these years I find myself still singing doing solo shows. I pay attention to my singing to make it work but I really don't think about it. Though there have been moments when I hit a sustained note and hear my voice as it fills the room over the P.A. when I think "not bad".

Mr. Paul 03-26-2024 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 7433441)
Oh hey, seeing the name of the poster right above here made me think of a very underrated guy:

Tony Joe White. If I was stuck with his voice I would definitely not complain.

Oooh yes, a fine choice (song starts @ 1:16).

rokdog49 03-26-2024 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 7433763)
Oooh yes, a fine choice (song starts @ 1:16).

I totally agree. 👍

rokdog49 03-26-2024 09:39 AM

Then there’s this guy…

Charmed Life Picks 03-27-2024 01:05 AM

Great idea for a thread.

This one will probably seem like out of left field, but I'll go with Michael Martin Murphey, and for one specific reason.

I've always loved his song "Wildfire," but I'll tel[l you, folks, it's impossible to sing. Have you tried? It's impossible. The vocal range is out of this world.

I went on YT and found the exact chords he uses. No way I could sing it there. I de-tuned my guitar one full step, then two full steps, and still couldn't hack it. I'm still trying to find someone (maybe a female?) who can sing this song in the key it was written (E) without having a vocal collapse and a nervous breakdown.

Here's another cool little wrinkle from his guitarist -- transcribing that beautiful opening piano solo to guitar. I learned it, but it's a challenge for someone as mediocre as me. But it sounds pretty darn cool when you hit it.

rokdog49 03-27-2024 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 7434288)
Great idea for a thread.

This one will probably seem like out of left field, but I'll go with Michael Martin Murphey, and for one specific reason.

I've always loved his song "Wildfire," but I'll tel[l you, folks, it's impossible to sing. Have you tried? It's impossible. The vocal range is out of this world.

I went on YT and found the exact chords he uses. No way I could sing it there. I de-tuned my guitar one full step, then two full steps, and still couldn't hack it. I'm still trying to find someone (maybe a female?) who can sing this song in the key it was written (E) without having a vocal collapse and a nervous breakdown.

Here's another cool little wrinkle from his guitarist -- transcribing that beautiful opening piano solo to guitar. I learned it, but it's a challenge for someone as mediocre as me. But it sounds pretty darn cool when you hit it.

We perform this and I can sing it, but it has to be a least a third of the way into our set for the old vocal cords to be warmed up enough.
The refrain is tough especially the last “wildfire” before the verse starts again.
We do it with a six and a twelve string combo.

reeve21 03-27-2024 10:06 AM

For a nice sounding voice, I have always loved Vince Gill. James Taylor, McCartney and Jackson Browne ain't too bad either.

My favorite singer is probably Linda Ronstadt, but her voice wouldn't look good on me :D

For expression, delivery etc. I love Lowell George, Tom Petty, Van Morrison. Bob Weir can really sing, too.

Mbroady 03-27-2024 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeve21 (Post 7434471)
For a nice sounding voice, I have always loved…….and Jackson Browne ain't too bad either.

Speaking of Jackson Brown. Cool version….

jseth 03-29-2024 11:23 AM

Great Take!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks (Post 7434288)
Great idea for a thread.

What a wonderful take on this Classic... Michael's voice has certainly aged well, I'd say! Loved it, all of it... nice to hear with just acoustic guitars and bass. The song always seems to send shivers up my spine, even after all these years!

It's still early for me, but I "hummed along" and found I could hit most of the notes - that last bit on "riding Wildfire" at the end would be a stretch, but the rest of it I could handle.

Songs in the key of E major can be problematic for me (and many others) because of that natural "break" in the male voice that occurs at the E and F notes. It is far easier for me to sing an F than that pesky E - I really have to think about it, relax and have plenty of air behind the note while not forcing anything...

As a solo acoustic guitarist/singer, I play and sing a lot of songs in E - love to have that low bass note as a pedal/touchstone. But I always have to remember when the melody goes up to that high E note; somehow, when I know the notes are going higher than that, it's not a problem like nailing that E above middle C...

Thanks for posting this one!!!